Art matters, and Columbia Center for the Arts is spending the month of June celebrating the arts and the significance of art in our lives. Activities will happen at the Center and around downtown Hood River that emphasize the joy and importance art brings to individuals and the community.
June ART MATTERS activities:
- June 1: Poetry treasure hunt around town. Those finding poems hidden in downtown Hood River can redeem their poem at the Art Center for a raffle ticket to win Summer Arts Camps scholarships or a grand prize raffle basket filled with art, tickets, and a host of goodies. You can also get raffle tickets throughout the month by frequenting four local businesses that will specially announced on our social media pages!
- June 2, 6-8pm: On First Friday the Center will host the opening of their Outdoor Art Exhibition, complete with Harmony of the Gorge (serenading folks on the street, around town, and at the Center), appetizers, original work by jeweler Melissa Chavez, and Mary Andrews will be doing sketches for folks on the front porch.
- June 3, 7pm: Meredith Kaye-Clark will perform the Joni Mitchell BLUE album in its entirety. Bring your best friends and wear your favorite blue dress! Get tickets here.
- June 4, 11am-1pm: Outdoor Art Children’s Workshop instructed by Audrey Mae Bernhardt and Lindsey Hegemann will feature sidewalk chalk art and small painted rocks for the #HoodRiverRocks community campaign. Please RSVP for this free workshop.
- June 16 & 17, 7pm: How to Do a One Person Show with actress and playwright Kelly Kinsella, plus a workshop The Art of Solo Performance with Kelly on June 17 at Noon.
- June 16 & 30, 3-5pm: Jewelry artist Melissa Chavez will be at the Center on these Fridays creating custom jewelry for visitors. Choose your jewelry elements and Melissa will create a unique piece for you on the spot.
- June 17 & 24, 2:30pm: Artist Audrey Mae will customizing tiny spraypainted canvasses with your favorite Gorge scene in encaustic wax. Choose a canvas, select one of the scenes, and standby for beauty!
- June 18, 11am-2pm: Artist Dawn Elle joins us on the CCA Front Porch to showcase her beautiful claywork process and maybe even design you a custom piece!
- June 23, 5:30pm: Artist Talk with local artist Ardis DeFreece, MFA, whose solo show will be hanging in the Lobby
- June 25, 2pm: Live broadcast screening of National Theatre in London’s performance of Amadeus. This is the premiere of CCA’s all-new National Theatre Live screening program. Broadcast live from the National Theatre in London, “Amadeus” is the first in a full season of plays featuring the best actors in the world direct from their performances on the stages of London.
- Second & Fourth Thursdays, 6:30pm: The Gorge Expression Session Music Jams will be led by Ryan Murtfeldt in the CCA Theatre. Bring your instruments, your voice, and your willingness to be creative, get funky, and get passionate about music together. These jam sessions are open to everyone and have a suggested donation at the door.
- Every Saturday in June, Noon: Gallery Manager Carolyn Smith will host a discussion group titled “Books & Brownies,” with conversations around the books Gone: A Girl, A Violin, A Life Unstrung (June 3), A Man Called Ove (June 10), with the remaining books to be announced—these events are free and all are welcome.
- Every Day in June: Take-a-selfie photo opportunities with painted frames, Outdoor Art Exhibition in the CCA Gallery, send a postcard from the Center, buy a ticket for a stranger, bring your lunch and sit and enjoy the art in the Gallery, watch video comments by community members, browse the awe-inspiring artwork of HRVHS AP Studio Art Students, get raffle tickets at CCA and other local businesses for a chance to win prizes, and lots of other surprises .